Sunday, February 14, 2016

I don't have a title for this post.  I am not entirely sure I know what I plan on talking about.  It's Valentine's day, in case you were unaware.  Valentine's Day.  You know, I'm not entirely sure I know the history of why this day is this day, but what I do know is how vastly different V-Day is post-children than it was not 3 years ago.

This day used to be about getting dressed up in clothes that I was super uncomfortable in, wear shoes that pinched my toes, have a pair of "underwear" on that could be deemed cruel and unusual punishment by at least 10 states (noticed the " "'s.  I'm not sure this undergarment could pass as real clothing...)  I would go out with my husband, we'd wine and dine ourselves silly, quite possibly see a movie, I'd get flowers or chocolate, he'd get some gifts of his own, and we'd wake up the next morning and go right back to work.

Fast forward a few years, add in a toddler to the mix, and you'd need an abacus to help you count the differences.  It's needless to mention that money is tight.  Tighter than getting plants allows.  Even if they smell nice.  Who needs plants?  Today was like any other Sunday, pretty much.  Husband brought me an egg sandwich and coffee this morning, I showered, put on jeans and a t-shirt, we woke the child up, went grocery shopping, put said child to nap, watched DVR, and here it is, 5:00, and I am currently wearing an overly large tee, sleeping shorts, and underwear that would make my grandmother proud.  I may have a glass of wine to my left, but otherwise, this is my now V-Day.  Baby L is watching Dinotrucks on Netflix, Husband is cooking up a pretty fabulous smelling dinner after he decided today is a good day to bathe the dogs.  (We have a corgi... 'nuff said.)  The thing is, I wouldn't change a damn thing.  Today was amazing.  I would so much rather be with my family, in comfortable clothes, barefoot, drinking wine that doesn't break the bank per glass, waiting on what I know will be a delicious meal, than have to put on a show out in the world.  Much less wait an hour for a meal that quite honestly, isn't worth the money spent.   I won't have to tip the waiter, I won't have to worry about my babysitter sneaking her boyfriend over for some nookie on my couch.  Sure, I didn't get flowers today.  Flowers die.  I have the unwavering loyalty and love from my family, and that is something I could never, nor will I ever sacrifice or let go.  

I'm neglecting to mention that we did indeed celebrate V-Day.  As a family, we took our Monster to the Aquarium yesterday.  We got there early so we could leave once it got busy.  And let me tell you, it got busy,  I have a thing against crowds, much less adding in a toddler that just wants to run around all of the exhibits paying no heed to the people he's forcing his mom to weave around as she tried to catch him.  It's awesome that we are beginning to be able to experience these types of things with Baby L.  When they are so small, you're super paranoid about taking your baby around strangers or you're worried about how said child would handle the stimulation.  That was us.  Totally and one hundred percent.  Now, we are taking quick trips to different venues.  We went to the Zoo back in October.  Success.  Last weekend was a traveling fair-type event called Jurassic Quest.  Success.  This weekend, then Aquarium.  Success.  Now, if we could only make it through grocery shopping without losing our shit when we see a balloon, that'd be a perfect scenario  (yes, I may be talking about today at the grocery store with all of the Valentine's Day balloons at every. single. register.)

Would I do it all over again?  Hell yes.  In fact, I plan on it.  I want more kids.  Sure, Baby L. keeps me on my toes, but he's making me a better person.  Before baby, I sped, I cut people off, I wouldn't hesitate prior to ringing my neighbors doorbell at 6 in the morning because she parked so close to my car that I couldn't get into it (I will admit, I dinked the ever living shit out of her door getting in, whoops.).  I'm more positive.  I'm happier.  I am more loving and open about my feelings.  I do it all for him.  And Husband.  Him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment