Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I've definitely become fan of Armentrout's writing
Cursed is about a girl names Ember who dies in a car accident and is brought back to life by her little sister.  Upon her revival, she discovers that her touch kills.  Literally.  So, essentially, this book is about a girl in high school who withdraws socially due to her disability and has to be the sole caregiver of her little 5 year old sister since her mother has been basically catatonic since the car accident that took the life of her dad.  At one point, she's assaulted by a fellow student who dies, and she freaks out.  Then, a family of people with their own gifts swoops in to whisk her and her sister and mother away from this little town in West Virginia so they can both be trained how to control their abilities.  Enter: Hayden.  Despite her touch, Hayden is fascinated with her and works with her to reign in her ability.

Of all of the books I've read by Armentrout, I'd have to say this is probably my least favorite, but at the same time, I'm not saying I did not like this book.  Ember seemed a little whiney, Hayden a bit unbelievable at times, her mother was just pathetic, and if I had that bratty little sister, I'd've slapped her.  Armentrout has the ability to make me add her male characters to my list of book boyfriends, but I didn't really get that feeling from Hayden.  Since this was a stand-alone novel, I feel like I didn't have the normal three books to become infatuated with him like I have with her other novels/series.  This book probably could've been stretched into a series, but it did well as a stand-alone.  The idea may not be wholly original, but I did really enjoy it.  It isn't as played out as some other themes. 

Overall, I rated it 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment